Sunday, October 3, 2010

Book 'em Danno... The Return of HAWAII FIVE O


At the beginning of this year I heard a rumor, that CBS was bringing back Hawaii Five O, for me this was one of my favorite of all time police dramas'. I loved Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett. I also loved how this series was a thinking persons' police drama.

Each episode, you were taken inside the mind of Steve McGarrett, and you watched as he and his team solved a crime or saved Hawaii from some interntional incident.

Recently I began watching the reruns of this series on Hulu, and found myself enjoying the series all over again. I wasn't sure if I could get into the new series, and after seeing several clips, I doubted, actually wrote off the series without even giving it a chance. That chaged this morning.

I went to Hulu, thinking I would watch another episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, but wasn't interested. I went to see Hawaii Five O and foun that the first two episodes of the new series were available. I was in shock, I mean the last thing you think of is that a series that is brand new would be on Hulu so fast, yet here it is.

I decided to take a chance, what was the worst that could happen.

I began to like the series from the opening set up, unlike the original series, where the team was in place, we got to see how this team came together and and also unlike the original series, not everyone gets along perfectly. One scene midway in the pilot episode, was where Danny Williams decks McGarrett, and then the two get into a fight,

We all know that there was tension between Jack Lord and the actor who played Danny Williams in the originl series, and this scene was something many of us wanted to see for years.

The dialogue is well crafted. we have real characters, none are perfect, but none are victims. Each is unique and brings something to the plate.

There are a few misses in the series.

The opening credits and main titles are rushed.
The incidental music is bland and borrowed from every other show on the air.
There are scenes where rap music is used, which really does not fit the scene, but it used as a ploy to bring in younger viewers.

Over-all though I like this version of Five O and look forward to hearing that line. Book em Danno.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/hawaii_five_0/video/?pid=cWGJ6X9Z0hoGerSEHe6MSSrsHLRzinRN&vs=Default&play=true

1 comment: